August 19, 2012
canned san marzano tomatoes
red pepper flakes
salt and freshly cracked black pepper
1. prepare the mise en place. finely mince the shallots, garlic, onion, carrot, and bacon.
2. mix the ground beef and pork together.
3. slowly render bacon bits in pot. after bacon fat has rendered, turn heat on high and saute the ground meat.
4. when meat is nicely browned, add in the carrots, garlic, shallot, onion, a pinch of chili flakes, some dried oregano, and season with salt and cracked black pepper to taste.
5. after a few minutes, add in some red wine and the tomatoes.
6. simmer the sauce on medium heat for 10-15 minutes. then add a pinch of nutmeg, a splash of red wine, a dash of heavy cream, and the basil.
7. while the sauce is reducing, cook the orechiette in salted water.
8. drain the orecchiette and spoon into a big serving bowl. top with the meat sauce, garnish with more basil and serve immediately. (freshly grated parmesan optional)
Posted by JT at 8:49 PM