August 24, 2011
garlic chicken katsu, grilled spring onions
chicken thigh meat
maldon sea salt (the flaky kind)
freshly cracked black pepper
tonkatsu sauce (optional)
1. prepare three trays. one with egg wash (by beating an egg with some water), one with flour, and one with panko. season panko with salt and cracked black pepper.
2. de-bone the chicken thigh meat and remove the skin. lay flat and season both sides with salt, garlic powder, and cracked black pepper. dredge chicken in a light coating of flour, then give it a bath in the egg wash, and lastly coat with panko.
3. add enough canola oil to a heated flat pan so that bottom is completely covered. pan-fry chicken pieces until both sides are golden and crispy. set on a rack (as shown) to drain excess oil. finish with sprinkle of maldon sea salt. note: I don't recommend draining the chicken on a paper towel, as bottom gets soggy.
4. slice the spring onions into quarters. heat up a grill pan and grill spring onions over medium heat until nicely caramelized and slightly charred.
1. garnish chicken katsu with chives and plate grilled spring onions next to it. serve with a lemon wedge on the side and tonkatsu sauce.
Posted by JT at 11:16 PM