for green lagane (wide noodles):
3 1/2 cups flour
3/4 - 1 cup blanched spinach
chicken giblets (livers, hearts, gizzards - use more liver)
dried porcini mushrooms
white chantrelle mushrooms
extra virgin olive oil
freshly cracked black pepper
1. pulse the blanched spinach in a food processor until super fine.
2. add the spinach into five beaten eggs. mix well.
3. mound the flour with a well in the middle on a clean, flat surface. slowly begin to incorporate the spinach/egg mixture into the well and then knead for 10-15 minutes. wrap the dough in saran wrap and rest for half an hour or so.
4. slice the chantrelles and soak the porcini mushrooms in some hot water. when porcini mushrooms have reconstituted, finely chop them up and set aside. save the porcini liquid.
5. chop the chicken giblets. dice the pancetta.
6. in a large dutch oven, heat up some extra virgin olive oil over medium low heat. cook the pancetta slowly to render its fat. meanwhile, finely chop up the carrot, onion, and garlic.
7. after the pancetta has rendered its fat, throw in the chopped carrots, porcini mushrooms, onions, garlic, and bay leaf. season with kosher salt and cracked black pepper. saute for 3 minutes.
8. stir in some tomato paste, the porcini mushroom liquid, and white wine. bring to a boil then turn heat to medium low and simmer for 40 minutes. season to taste.
9. while chicken liver sauce is simmering, heat up some extra virgin olive oil over high heat to sear the chantrelle mushrooms. season with salt and cracked pepper to taste and then set aside for garnish.
10. using a pasta machine, roll out green pasta dough to thin sheets. fold the sheets as you would a cinnamon roll and then slice into flat, wide noodles. lightly toss with flour to prevent sticking. cook the lagane in salted boiling water.
11. after a minute or two, transfer al-dente lagane into the liver sauce to finish cooking.
to plate: pile some lagane onto a plate. top with additional chicken liver sauce and garnish with the caramelized chantrelles and parsley. serve immediately.
optional: you can top the pasta with shaved parmesan or pecorino romano. both work.